Flood Control: Wike Orders Demolition of Abuja Buildings on Waterways by Saturday

newseditor
5 Min Read

Declares “heaven will not fall” as FCTA moves to clear structures obstructing drainage channels

Reacting to OBSERVERS TIMES report the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has vowed that all buildings obstructing waterways in Abuja will be demolished by Saturday.

Speaking on Tuesday, Wike stated that the exercise, which begins immediately, is part of urgent measures to address recurrent flooding and restore the city’s natural drainage systems.

“Between today and Saturday, the buildings blocking the waterways will be brought down. We will demolish all the houses found on the water channels, and heaven will not fall,” Wike declared.

The minister’s directive comes amid heightened concerns over flash floods in parts of the territory following recent heavy rainfalls.

Wike stressed that the government would not tolerate structures that block natural water channels, emphasizing that enforcement would proceed despite anticipated opposition from affected property owners.

He also categorically denied claims that the FCT Administration (FCTA) had previously allocated waterways to developers, warning that those who encroached on these channels should not expect any leniency.

The FCTA has in recent times intensified its crackdown on illegal structures to align the city with its original master plan. Wike’s latest order signals a major enforcement drive targeting properties built on designated water paths.

OBSERVERS TIMES recalled that A former resident of Abuja has urged the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to urgently investigate the causes of recent flooding in parts of the capital and to take stronger measures to prevent a recurrence.

Rachel Haastrup Ekundayo, who has known Abuja for about a decade and lived in the city for roughly three years, warned against allowing flooding to become an accepted feature of the capital. “I am writing following the recent flooding in Abuja because I strongly believe this must not be allowed to become a normal occurrence,” she said.

Ekundayo said treating such floods as inevitable—because they have happened in other Nigerian cities—would lower the standard expected of Abuja and could turn a preventable problem into an accepted reality. “That is how preventable problems gradually become accepted until people are literally struggling through floodwater simply because planning rules were not followed or enforced,” she added.

Stress­ing the importance of wetlands and natural drainage, Ekundayo cited her ownership of a wetland plot in the United Kingdom to illustrate that undeveloped land can provide critical environmental services. “Some people would describe that as a useless investment. I do not. That land is doing a job,” she said, noting that wetlands absorb water, protect communities and support ecosystems.

She called on the FCTA to protect wetlands, waterways and natural drainage areas from development, enforce Abuja’s master plan rather than regularising inappropriate developments, and investigate the specific factors that contributed to the recent flooding. Ekundayo urged the administration to publish lessons learned, ensure drainage infrastructure is cleared and maintained before each rainy season, and review developments in known flood-prone areas.

Ekundayo further recommended that flood prevention be made a measurable responsibility with named agencies held accountable for implementation. “Identify why it happened, correct the weaknesses that allowed it to happen, and put systems in place so that the same failure is not repeated,” she said.

The call comes as the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Abuja Operations Office and the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FCT FEMA) carried out joint assessments of communities affected by flash floods. Teams visited Wuse, Mabushi and other areas to examine the impact on homes, roads, businesses and infrastructure, and to engage residents on urgent needs.

NEMA and FCT FEMA said the assessments will guide coordinated emergency response and preparedness, and reaffirmed their commitment to strengthen inter-agency coordination and timely responses. They have advised residents in flood-prone areas to remain vigilant, avoid flooded roads and comply with official safety advisories.

Ekundayo said emergency relief is necessary but insufficient, insisting that the response must also address planning, environmental protection and enforcement lapses to prevent future floods in the capital.

Share This Article
Leave a comment