Pelumi Olajengbesi, spokesperson for The Imole Campaign Council (TICC), has apologised to Monday Okpebholo, governor of Edo State, over comments he described as “disrespectful” during the Osun governorship election.
Olajengbesi said he had withdrawn the remarks made during the campaign for the August 15 election, which was won by Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
TICC led Adeleke’s campaign for a second term in office.
In a statement, Olajengbesi acknowledged that some of his comments about Okpebholo crossed the line and said he regretted making them.
He said his remarks were made in the heat of the political contest and were not intended to diminish the office held by the Edo governor.
“I withdraw those comments and apologise to Governor Okpebholo for the disrespect,” Olajengbesi said, while stressing the importance of maintaining civility in political discourse.
The apology comes after a period of heightened political activity surrounding the Osun election, with leading politicians and their supporters engaging in intense campaigning ahead of the poll.
Okpebholo, a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), had been involved in the campaign activities surrounding the election, while Adeleke was seeking another term under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The Osun election was closely watched nationally, with the outcome seen as an important test of the political strength of the major parties ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 general elections.
Olajengbesi’s decision to retract his comments underscores renewed calls for restraint and respect among political actors, particularly as preparations for the next general election gather momentum.

